The Takoma Park Recreation Department is committed to providing a safe, positive and respectful environment. Participants and their families and friends are expected to follow the Rules for Play and Code of Conduct below, as well as all applicable City rules and regulations. We take a constructive approach to discipline and our staff regularly reviews the rules with participants. Please immediately report to staff any uncomfortable or threatening situations you or your child may experience while participating in our programs or facilities. Departmental staff will make every effort to promptly resolve any inappropriate behavior.
Rules for Play
- Be a good listener
- Be a good sport
- Be attentive
- Be friendly and respectful
- Be on time
- Leave valuables at home (i.e. cameras, cell phones, iPods)
- Make new friends
- Respect the property of others
- Use a quiet voice
What We Expect From You
- COURTESY: Please be courteous and respectful to staff, other participants, and visitors to the building
- PARTICIPATION: Please be an active participant in planned and drop-in activities
- LISTENING: Please follow directions given by staff
- RESPECT: Please treat equipment, facilities, and property with respect
What Will Not Be Tolerated
- Vandalism, theft of equipment, littering, or damaging government property
- Consumption, possession, or distribution of drugs or alcohol
- Failure to cooperate with staff and activity leaders
- Verbal threats
- Any unlawful activity
- Swearing or abusive language
- Physical violence and fighting
- Possession of weapons of any kind
- Sexual harassment or misconduct
- Failure to follow City rules (See: Administrative Regulation No. 2011-1 (PDF)
Other Important Information
- Personal music or video games are not allowed.
- Movies must be previewed and approved by staff.
- Staff is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- All equipment (pool accessories, paddles, video games) will be checked out to participants.
- All participants must take care of the Teen Lounge and the materials they use. The person who signs out the equipment will be held financially responsible for lost or damaged equipment.
What are the consequences?
If you violate the rules, this is what will happen.
If you are under the age of 18, we will notify your parents for Level 3 and 4.
Level 1: Verbal Counseling
Level 2: Temporary suspension/ loss of privileges
Level 3: Suspension from the Takoma Park Recreation Center and programs (time dependent on severity of incident)
Level 4: Expulsion from City Recreation facilities and programs