Applications and important documents needed for the stormwater permitting process are available below.
- Application for Stormwater Management Concept Approval (PDF)
- Application For Stormwater Management Permit (PDF)
A Stormwater Management permit is required for:
- Additions or modifications to existing single-family detached residential structures disturbing 5,000 square feet or more
- Any exterior construction activity on commercial, industrial or institutional property, regardless of size of disturbance.
Takoma Park maintains the system of storm drains and underground pipes that manages stormwater. Residents are charged an annual fee to pay for maintenance of the system.
The City requires submittal of a Stormwater Plan for City review and approval at the Concept stage and the Final Construction Phase. There may also be a requirement for Plan submittal at the Site Development Stage for multi-unit residential or large commercial developments.
The submission requirements for the permit application are outlined in the City Code, Section 16.04.140 and Maryland Department of the Environment Stormwater Management Design Manual. Additionally, more information is available in the Stormwater Management Plan Review Process document:
Stormwater Permit Fees
Concept or Site Development
- $50.00 Single Family
- $10.00 per unit (Minimum of $50.00) Multi-family
- $0.05 per square foot of imprevious area (minimun $250, maximum $500) Commercial, Industrial, Multi-Family 21 units or more.
- $500.00 Single Family
- $100.00 Multi-family
- 10% of system construction costs (reduction up to 50% possible if controls exceed requirements) Commercial, Industrial, Industrial, Multi-Family 21 units or more.