Takoma Park maintains the system of storm drains and underground pipes that manages stormwater. Residents are charged an annual fee to pay for maintenance of the system.

If you have a question about stormwater management or want to report a flooding or drainage problem, contact the City Engineer.

Ali Khalilian
City Engineer
Phone: 301-891-7620

Stormwater Runoff 

Rainwater flowing over streets and other paved areas picks up oils & other contaminants on its way to Sligo Creek, the Anacostia River & the Chesapeake Bay. Fast-flowing stormwater causes erosion & the eroded soils add to the degradation of our waterways. The City of Takoma Park works to slow & filter the stormwater to help our community do its part in cleaning the Chesapeake Bay. The illustration below explains stormwater runoff graphically.

Stormwater Billing

For stormwater billing issues, please contact the Finance Department:

City of Takoma Park
Phone: 301-891-7212

Stormwater Fees - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Why do I have to pay a stormwater fee?

The City is responsible for providing stormwater management facilities and services, including installation and maintenance of storm drains, inlets and ditches, as well as ensuring that state programs such as erosion and sediment control are provided on construction sites to protect Sligo Creek and the Chesapeake Bay. Funding is not provided by federal or state government for these services. The City has jurisdiction over long term Stormwater Management Planning for both new and redevelopment project. State and Federal programs such as National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES MS4 Phase II) and Watershed Implementation Plan WIP Phase II based on Clean Water Act are implemented and enforced as part of the Stormwater Management Program. 

How will revenues be used?

All revenues will be used to support the stormwater program, which includes maintenance of the drainage system, such as pipes and ditches; protecting properties from flooding; protecting our streams and wetlands from erosion and pollution; and complying with state and federal regulatory mandates.

Will revenues be spent throughout the City?

Yes. The stormwater management program is Citywide.

Why is the stormwater management program not funded by tax revenues?

It was funded by tax revenues until fiscal year 1997, however, tax revenues were not a reliable source of funding for the program. The stormwater management utility fee is fairer than a stormwater tax based on the assessed value of the property because:

  • The fee is based on each property's actual contribution to stormwater runoff
  • Each property including tax exempt contributes a fair and equitable share towards the overall cost of the stormwater management program

Does that mean I pay less tax?

Yes. The dedicated portion of the property tax that was used for the stormwater program has been eliminated. The rates assessed by the City Council for stormwater management have varied from 3 cents to 8 cents per $100 of assessed value. It would require a tax of about 6 cents per $100 to generate the same amount of revenue as the stormwater fee generates. About 80 percent of single-family homeowners pay less for stormwater management under the fee system than they have paid under the property tax system.

My neighborhood has drainage problems. Who do I call to get some action on these problems?

You can call the City Department of Public Works at 301.891.7633. If the problem is City responsibility, we will add it to our maintenance and repair schedule.

How is the rate established?

The rate is set by City Council, based on continued funding of historical budget levels for the stormwater management program.

Are tax-exempt properties also exempt from the stormwater fee?

No, because it is a fee, not a tax. Taxes are based on the value of the property. The stormwater fee is assessed based on how much the property contributes to the amount of stormwater runoff from the property.

How are residential property fees determined?

Each single-family residential dwelling unit is billed at a flat rate each year. Multi-family dwellings and all non-residential properties will be billed at a rate that is based on their actual impervious area. For example, if a property has three times as much impervious area as the average single-family residential parcel, it will pay three times as much.

How are non-residential or multi-family property fees determined?

To determine the annual fee, divide the total impervious area by the one ERU (1,228 sf) obtain the number of ERUs and multiply by the rate. If the property has multiple owners, divide the total fee by the number of owners to obtain the fee by owner. The minimum utility fee for any developed property is never less than one ERU.

Impervious areas were determined by analyzing aerial photographs and the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission's mapping data to identify the amount of impervious surfaces on each property.

Why do I have to pay when I do not have any drainage problems?

Everyone in the City benefits from the Stormwater Management Program. If stormwater runs off your property, the City must have a program and funding to manage the increase in runoff and pollutants. Direct benefits may include protecting your property from upstream runoff, protecting property downstream from your runoff, and improving water quality in Sligo Creek.

Want more information?

If you would like additional information on the stormwater management utility or have specific concerns about stormwater management issues, please visit the Maryland Stormwater Management page or contact the City Engineer.

Additional Stormwater Information


Low Impact Stormwater Projects

Stormwater Links

Stormwater Permits

Looking for a stormwater fee schedule, Application for Stormwater Management Concept Approval or Application For Stormwater Management Permit? They are available on the Stormwater Permit Application page.  

external link icon External Links. The City of Takoma Park does not endorse, review, control, or recommend viewpoints, materials, or products contained in third party websites, unless noted.