It’s that time of year again! Tomorrow night, all the little witches, ghosts and goblins get to go out in search of treats. Halloween is an exciting time for children of all ages, but we want to make sure they understand how to keep themselves safe, whether they are with their parents or out with friends.
- Make sure your child’s costume is bright and reflective since it will become dark outside during the course of their trick or treating. If it’s not, consider putting reflective tape or stripping on their costumes. Make sure their shoes fit well and their costumes are short enough that they don’t find themselves tripping.
- Put your child’s name, address and phone number somewhere on them, especially for little ones, in case they get separated from you.
- Review with your child "Stop-Drop-Roll" in case their costume does come in contact with fire.
When trick-or-treating, remind your child(ren):
By using a flashlight, they can see and be seen by others.
Stay in a group, walk slowly and communicate where you are going.
Only trick-or-treat in well known neighborhoods at homes that have a porch light on.
Remain on well-lit streets and always use the sidewalk.
If no sidewalk is available, walk at the farthest edge of the roadway facing traffic.
Never cut across yards or use alleys.
Never enter a stranger's home or car for a treat.
Obey all traffic and pedestrian regulations.
Always walk. Never run across a street.
Only cross the street as a group in established crosswalks.
Remove any mask or item that will limit eyesight before crossing a street, driveway or alley.
Don't assume the right of way. Motorists may have trouble seeing Trick-or-Treaters. Just because one car stops, doesn't mean others will.
Never consume unwrapped food items or open beverages that may be offered.
No treats are to be eaten until they are thoroughly checked by an adult at home.
Law Enforcement authorities should be notified immediately of any suspicious or unlawful activity.
Please be safe and have a Happy Halloween from the Takoma Park Police Department!
Use your cell phone to send an anonymous tip to the Takoma Park Police Department.
- Text to 847411
- Type TPPDTIP at the beginning of your message.
- Type your message, including as much detail as possible, to ensure that your tip is thoroughly investigated.
If you see a crime in progress, contact the Takoma Park Police at 301-270-1100. If you need to report an emergency that involves the need for fire or rescue services, call 9-1-1.