On May 13, the City of Takoma Park Council, in a 6 to 1 vote, adopted an amendment to the City Charter which significantly updates Takoma Park’s voting and election laws, including:
- Reducing the minimum voting age in Takoma Park municipal elections to 16 on the date of the election;
- Reducing the residency requirements for voting from 30 days to 21 days before an election;
- Allowing convicted felons on probation or parole to register and vote in City elections;
- Establishing early voting for every City election;
- Providing for same day voter registration in City elections.
More details are available in the full press release.