The City of Takoma Park’s Property Maintenance Code (Chapter 6.12 ) establishes minimum property standards designed to ensure the health, safety and welfare of the community. The Code incorporates the minimum property standards established in Montgomery County’s Housing and Building Maintenance Standards (Chapter 26).
The minimum property standards detailed in the Code apply to the exterior of all existing residential, commercial, institutional and accessory structures and premises, in addition to all vacant land. The provisions of the Code also apply to the interior of all rental housing properties. Violations of the Code will result in warnings and/or fines.
Simple, timely maintenance can prevent major problems and ensure compliance with the Code. Be a good neighbor and lend a hand to someone less able to take on routine maintenance chores. Not only is it a neighborly thing to do, it helps keep our community a safe and attractive place to live.
Common Property Maintenance Code Violations
The following is a listing of common Code violations:
- Unsafe or unsecured structures
- Broken windows, missing doors, collapsed roofs, unsafe steps or rotting porches
- Chipping peeling paint and deteriorating wood
- Missing or damaged fencing or other site improvements
- Inadequately maintained grounds (overgrown shrubbery, excessive weeds, tall grass)
- Accumulation or improper storage of rubbish, garbage, and bulk items
- Unlicensed or inoperable vehicles
- Vehicles parked on the lawn, green space, or the sidewalk
- Graffiti located on private property
- Accumulation of snow and ice on public walkways
Please contact the Code Enforcement Division at email@example.com or 301-891-7255 for more information on the Property Maintenance Code.