Construction Activity Permits

Construction Activity Permits | Header Image

Most permits for construction and building activites in Takoma Park are issued by the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Services (DPS) external link icon, but the City permits for a few things in addition to the County. A Permit Letter from the City's Planning Division is required in order to obtain County permits for all exterior and some interior property improvements in Takoma Park. The letter is issued to Montgomery County DPS stating that the applicant has spoken with City staff and is aware that Takoma Park has additional development regulations that must be followed. If these development regulations are not followed, the property owner and/or contractor may be subject to fines. To request a Permit Letter, call 301-891-7119.

Some projects may also be required to meet certain development standards and are subject to a more comprehensive review process prior to permitting. For more information, see Community Planning - Development Standards.

City of Takoma Park Permits

Some City permits, particularly those related to stormwater, must be approved before site plan review or application for a building permit. Read the requirements carefully on the Department of Public Works page, or call 301-891-7633 if you have further questions. The City of Takoma Park issues permits for the following:

Montgomery County Permits

Most permits for construction, renovation, or demolition are issued by the Montgomery County Department of Permitting Servicesexternal link icon Some of the permit types include:

  • Building construction and remodeling
  • Fences, decks, and sheds
  • Sprinklers and fire alarms
  • Inspections
  • Well and septic
  • Zoning (for some cases)
  • Electrical work

A permit will not be issued if the project is located within the Takoma Park Historic District until a Historic Area Work Permit is obtained (see below).

Once the construction is complete, a commercial project may also need a Use and Occupancy Certificate from the County. Call Montgomery County at 240-777-0311. The Department of Permitting Services can provide information on how to obtain the required certificate.

Information on the status of permits that have been issued by Montgomery County for a specific street address can be tracked on their Online Data Search site.

Historic Area Work Permits

Exterior improvements to properties located in the Takoma Park Historic District generally require a Historic Area Work Permit external link icon from the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) of Montgomery County. This permit should be applied for before the building permit. To see if your property is located in the Historic District, see the County’s interactive mapexternal link icon The HPC staff phone number is 301-563-3400.

Commercial property owners will also need to present their proposal before the Takoma Park Façade Advisory Board (FAB) prior to review by the Historic Preservation Commission. To get on the agenda for the next FAB meeting, call 301-891-7119.

external link icon External Links. The City of Takoma Park does not endorse, review, control, or recommend viewpoints, materials, or products contained in third party websites, unless noted.