The City of Takoma Park Public Ethics Ordinance calls for the creation of an Ethics Commission to administer the Ethics chapter of the Takoma Park Code and ensure that public officials and employees perform their duties with only the best interests of the City and its residents in mind.
Duties and Responsibilities
- To devise, and receive and maintain all forms generated by the Ethics Ordinance;
- To provide advisory opinions to persons subject to the Ordinance;
- To hear and decide any inquiry or complaint regarding an alleged violation of the Ethics Ordinance;
- To conduct a public information program regarding the purposes and applications of the Ordinance;
- To recommend legislative changes and improvements to the Ordinance;
- To promulgate regulations to accompany the Ordinance; and
- To certify annually to the State Ethics Commission that the City is in compliance with the requirements for elected officials of State Government Article, Title 15, Subtitle 8, of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
The Ethics Commission may have up to seven appointed members. It currently has six members and one vacancy. Members are appointed by the City Council. Residency is required.
- Arthur E. Gary, Vice Chair
- Adam Hatton
- Ellen Maidman-Tanner
- Patricia Anne Murphy
- Anthony Pegues
- Michael W. Richards, Chair
- Paras Shah
The Commission is charged with meeting at least once each quarter, or as is needed to review an advisory opinion or complaint.
Dosuments of Interest
- Information on the procedure for requesting an advisory opinion or filing an inquiry or complaint is available here:
Meeting Agendas and Minutes